BEACHFRONT COTTAGE AND THE HISTORY OF THE CROOKED HYTHE
As the harbour was not constructed until 1882-83, fishing was conducted from the natural inlet known as 'The Hythe, 'Crooked Hythe' or 'Slip Shore'. A slipway was built by shipbuilders Herd & McKenzie in 1903, and around 32 Steam Drifters were built up to the outbreak of WW1. In 1918 they shifted to Cluny Harbour, Buckie.
This is an 1880 painting of the Hythe by James Clarke Hook entitled "Home with the Tide", which can be seen in Tate Gallery. The painting takes up a familiar theme of Hook's work of the the involvement of wife and children in a man's work.
FINDOCHTY AND THE HYTHE THEN AND NOW
position mouse to the right edge of images to start rolling gallery of alternate "then and now" images, and clicking on the photos will display text descriptions.